Thursday, September 3, 2026

Let Freedom Sting

The Northrop F-89D Scorpion, the definitive production variant, was an upgraded model of the first all-weather, twin-engined jet designed from the outset as an interceptor, relying on advanced radar and rocket armament rather than cannons. It served as the primary backbone of the North American Air Defense Command during the early Cold War, designed to intercept Soviet bombers. The Scorpion was a replacement for Northrop's P-61 "Black Widow" that saw limited combat toward the end of World War II but found its place in the Korean War. Above are F-89Ds from the 59th Fighter Squadron stationed at Goose Bay, Canada. 

The Scorpion series entered USAF inventory in 1950. The D-model first flew in 1951, but production was disrupted by the same issues encountered on early models, before full production was resumed during 1953. Because the jet engines were positioned so low to the ground, sucking up debris could be a problem. Scanning the tarmac and runway became standard procedure before take-off. The final variant was the F-89J, converted from 350 F-89Ds, that replaced the standard wingtip's fifty-two "Mighty Mouse" missile pods with 600-gallon fuel tanks and fitted a pylon under each wing for a single MB-1 Genie nuclear rocket, sometimes supplemented by up to four conventional Falcon air-to-air missiles attached to the wing tanks. With the advent of supersonic interceptors, the Scorpions were relegated to Air National Guard units in northern air bases before they were all retired in 1969. The last F-89, a "J" model from Maine's Air National Guard, was transferred to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in July of that year for permanent display. 

The nickname Scorpion arose from its up-swept tail and high-mounted horizontal stabilizer, distinctly accentuated when on the ground.